Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Knock, Knock, Knocking on Heaven’s Door – or the ravine I almost fell into!

On Saturday, December 29th ¾ of the nymphs got together for a hike. Karina, DJ Haizee and I went to Runyon Canyon. This is a trail we've often referred to as the woosie hike. This is where a certain sector of the "Hollywood" set goes to "pick up" and "hook up". This is the hike where you'll see women in their Juicy Couture outfits, walking a toy dog and wearing more junk on their face than a Monet painting.

DJ Haizee assured us that she had found this great hike and it will give us the benefit of Paseo in less time. So off we go. It was a great workout until I tried to reach the top. Karina and Haizee got lost in conversation and I got lost in my thoughts. I should have kept up with them, I should have paid attention to what path they took to the top. I should have climbed the rocks but I didn't.

As I lifted my right foot up to reach the top, my left foot started sliding and I couldn't get any traction. I was slipping on the dirt. I decided to look back to see if I could slide down and then hike on the rocks where the traction would be better. As I look down, I see that I am very close to falling off this mountain. If I would have extended my leg, it would have touched the edge of the cliff.

I didn't freak out too much. I had to give myself a pep talk to remain calm. I needed to be calm and steady so I would not plunge to the bottom of the canyon. I decided to kneel and bury my knees in the dirt. Once I did that, I was stable. The next step was to grab on to a nearby rock, climb to the rest of the rocks and make it to the top. The rock did not share my sentiment, because the rock came loose and brought down more dirt and I started sliding a little bit. I planted my knees deeper into the dirt and did the same with my hands. I finally somehow, managed to reach the bed of rocks and then I was home free.

Kristina and Haizee were waiting for me not knowing what I had just been through. When I told Haizee, she said that it wasn't over because the way down could be a bit scary. What!!!! I wanted to panic but didn't. I was not going to panic until I saw what lay before me.

It was not a comforting site when I saw Karina, Haizee and a very strong man grasping on to the rocks so that they don't fall off this thing. I did not want to look down. Karina said I should sit and slide down. That sounded like the better alternative. Haizee said that the first time she did the hike, she did the same thing and it felt like she was sliding down a birth canal. Yes, I share that sentiment. I made it through that ordeal and enjoyed the rest of the hike.

The last mile of the hike was going down the woosie trail. You could tell the difference between those who ate dirt and those who spent 2 hours getting their hair and make up done!

My butt and upper thighs looked like they had been scratched by a five paw kitten. The bruises are slowly going away.

Am I crazy for wanting to do it again and conquering that trail?

I found this excerpt from http://www.runyon-canyon.com/

"For the more adventurous there are three routes off the Western High Way, the first being by the fence line at the top of the first ascent which takes you towards the Wattles Garden Park on its Eastern side. This route peters out with the Gardens in sight and one has a choice of retracing ones steps or going for a bit of a slide. The second route comes south west from the high point and takes a gentle path along the spine of the ridge that makes up the western edge of the Wattles and is a pleasant and scarcely populated route, down hill all the way. When in the Wattles Park there is a route along the bottom of the valley, along the dry river bed which will eventually lead to a steep climb that will emerge just before the final ascent to the High Point. Finally, a route guaranteed to scratch your legs is the scramble down the hill beyond the western pylon to the west of the High Way. This takes you to the bottom of another valley, past a little shack and along the river bed and comes out at the end of Curson Ave, by a newly built property. These routes may well cross private property and because they are seldom traveled, it would probably be safer not to attempt them alone."

xoxo,

Lucy

No comments: