Friday, February 1, 2008

Hiking in Patagonia

Here is Kate and Irina on top of Cerro Otto.

I recently came back from a trip to Patagonia, Argentina.  After spending almost 4 months (of active pre-pro and production) working on Love 10 to 1 and being completely burnt out, I cashed in my frequent flier miles and brought along two credit cards.  That is really all you need to travel!  My best friend Kate flew down from NYC to meet me in Bariloche.  We met up with another friend, Irina, who lives in Bariloche.  We spent most of the trip on the various hiking trails in the area.  It is beautiful.  I imagine that being in heaven would feel like this.  Since Irina is a local, she took us to various trails that many tourists may miss.  

One hike that we went on was on top of Cerro Otto.  There is a gondola that takes you to the top, and then you walk through a forest and later hike up a short hill to reach the top of the peak.  Once there, the view was breathtaking. We usually brought along snacks and a thermos for making instant coffee and tea.  

I think hiking is like meditation for active people.  It is walking meditation really.  Van Gogh said that the best way to know God is to love many things.  Without getting all crunchy here, I think the best way to know God is to surround yourself with nature as often as possible, and hike!  

So I came back to L.A. with a greater sense of purpose and calm, despite all the craziness that happened while I was away.  That is another story for another day.


No comments: